Welcome to the conversation!

Join historical novel writer Marilyn Weymouth Seguin here every week for conversation about digital tools you can use for researching, writing, revising, publishing and promoting your work! Buy the eBook at this link.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Has the internet killed reading books?

Because I teach in the English Dept. of a large Midwestern University, I am surrounded by people who love to read books—students and faculty.  Therefore, I am always puzzled when folks lament that no one reads books anymore because information on the internet is both pervasive and ubiquitous.  As a reader of books and a writer of them, the idea of the internet replacing books for reading pleasure gives me pause. You probably feel the same.

Thus, I was interested to read this article from The Atlantic, “The Next Time Someone Says the Internet Killed Reading Books, Show Them This Chart.” Of course, the study is a little skewed, as the author of the article acknowledges, but still.  Makes me feel better. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment